14 Cornhill

London EC3

Architect/Designer:
DLG Architects
Client:
IVG Asticus Real Estate
Main Contractor:
ISG Interior Exterior
Completion Date:
2008
Portland Stone:
Independent Whitbed, Jordans Whitbed & Jordans Basebed
Scope of Project:
Traditional Cladding and Ornate Stonework

14 Cornhill succeeds in combining the best characteristics of the existing building with the modern retail and Grade A office space required today.

The Banking hall and staircase become central features of the scheme with the adaptation of existing structures and addition of two new floors and a new atrium.

The original building, now Grade II Listed, was built in 1929 to the designs of Tommy Tait, illustrious designer of many significant City buildings.

The imposing six-storey building sits on a triangular wedge between Lombard Street and Cornhill, near to where both thoroughfares converge on the Bank intersection.

A small segment of the plot was taken up by another building, 13-14 Cornhill, which has recently been demolished behind a retained façade, creating a larger project footprint. The site address has now taken on this name and is officially rebranded as 14 Cornhill.

Albion Stone'€™s masons produced the ornate hand-fix work using Portland Basebed. Albion Stone provided £170,000 of stone for this project.