C F Møller Architects
The Natural History Museum
The Darwin Centre is an extension of the famous Natural History Museum in London. The building cost over £70 million.
Albion Stone supplied 1,000m2 of 40mm thick Jordans Whitbed paving in bands of 400mm wide cut to random lengths, ranging between 400mm–1,200mm long to be laid to an agreed pattern.
This project now completes the Darwin Centre, the most significant development at the Museum since it moved to South Kensington in 1881. The first phase, housing the Museum's twenty two million zoological specimens stored in alcohol, opened in September 2002.
SCi successfully completed the design, supply and site installation of Jordan's Whitbed Portland limestone flooring to Phase 2 in October 2008.
The scope of the stone package included the two main atrium floors and both grand staircases.
HRH Prince William of Wales and Sir David Attenborough unveil the Natural History Museum's new Darwin Centre in a nature inspired opening celebration on the 14th September 2009.