Temple Bar

London EC4

Awards:
Highly Commended in both the Craftsmanship and Repair and Restoration category (Natural Stone Awards 2006)
Architect/Designer:
Freeland Rees Roberts
Client:
Corporation of London
Completion Date:
2006
Portland Stone:
Various Whitbeds and Basebeds
Scope of Project:
External Ornate Stonework and Restoration

Temple Bar was originally constructed in 1650 to define the boundary between the City of London and the City of Westminster.   The Corporation of London has re-sited the gates to form a new entrance to Paternoster Square in the City.

In a delicate operation that took 72 weeks, the gateway was dismantled, stone by stone, and rebuilt at the newly redeveloped Paternoster Square opposite St Paul'€™s Cathedral. Four original statues depicting monarchs were re-instated following conservation and repair.

Albion Stone supplied Portland Whitbed and Portland Basebed for the sympathetic conservation and repair of this last surviving gateway to the city built by Wren.