2nd April 2009
The Monument, one of the City of London's most outstanding landmarks and visitor attractions, has recently undergone a programme of improvements and repairs.
The £4.5 million project, funded by the City of London Corporation, involved the cleaning and repair of the Monument's stonework and the re-gilding of its famous golden orb.
Completed in 1677, Sir Christopher Wren's flame-topped Monument to the Great Fire of 1666, stands 202 ft high and is positioned 202 ft from the spot in Pudding Lane on which the Great Fire is believed to have started.
Repairs to The Monument have been carried out approximately every hundred years, with work last undertaken in 1888. Work started in July 2007 and The Monument re-opened to visitors in February 2009.
Albion Stone supplied blocks of Jordans Whitbed stone for the restoration work. This was carried out by Cathedral Works Organisation (Chichester) Ltd, who successfully completed the relocation of Temple Bar in 2004 for the City of London Corporation.