Jacobs Architects and Tony Gee and Partners
Scope of Project:
Construction of new ticket hall, including internal and external Portland stone cladding.
As part of a £5.5 billion strategy to become a landmark London station, the new Blackfriars scheme includes the construction of a new station on the South Bank with an aim to increase the service capacity, frequency of trains and provide better interchange service between National Rail and London Underground services.
Originally opened in 1886, Blackfriars was designed by Pascall and Watson, with the façade and concourse being modernised in the 1970s. Jacobs were commissioned to design the new station building and Tony Gee and Partners to design the rail bridge.
Albion Stone supplied approximately 918m² of Bowers Whitbed, mostly in the form of 75mm thick ashlar panels.