Highly Commended Award in the 1987 Design Award for Natural Stone
Moscow Narodny Bank
Sir Robert McAlpine
Portland Stone was specified by the Architects for the restoration of the façade and a new building extension which encompassed properties in Nicholas Lane. However, the new extension was to maintain the original design details from the King William Street façade which included columns, capitals and carvings. The building was built in 1910 and was restored in 1985 with Albion Stone Masonry carrying out the detailed carving and moulding work.
Portland Stone cladding was fixed to a concrete frame structure. The new build section follows traditional stone designs from the front elevation, and incorporates glass facades in both Nicholas Lane and to the rear of Nicholas Passage. To carry the continuity of the existing profiles and to give the overall impression of a traditional construction, the stone fixed was solid as opposed to thin cladding.
The Architects were particularly keen to avoid expansion joints in the Ashlar face between Nicholas Lane and Nicholas Passage. This was achieved by the use of substantial stainless steel fixings for both support and restraint and by increasing the Ashlar thickness between the first and fourth floor levels to 200mm, thus eliminating the necessity for compression beds on the second and third floor levels.
Albion Stone supplied approximately 600 cubic metres of worked pieces of Independent Whitbed.
The Project was completed in 1985 and the finished building achieved a Highly Commended Award in the 1987 Design Awards for Natural Stone.